How have your marketed your performance? Are you marketing materials available in
- large print
- signed video
- simple language/image supported
- Does it provide warning of potentially triggering material (both physical – strobe – or mental – portraying distressing topics)
How do audience members enter your venue? How do they enter the space?
- Are there any stairs? Even tiny steps can be difficult to access via wheelchair
- do you provide sighted guidence?
- are there bannisters along corridors/walkways?
- do any of the FOH team sign?
- are the corridors and doorways wide enough for wheelchairs?
- do you provide free tickets for support workers?
- are there disabled toilets?
- are there gender neutral toilets?
Where are the audience placed during your performance?
- Is there space for wheelchairs? Can wheelchair users choose their position, or is it dictated to them?
- Are you seats numbered? If so, are they in Braille/large type?
- Are your audience standing? if so, have you provided seats for audience that cannot remain standing for a long time
- are hard of hearing or deaf audience members positioned where they can lip-read?
How accessible is your performance material?
- Do you use text? if so, is it signed? do you provide a hearing loop? Is you performance captioned?
- Do you use visuals? if so, do you have an audio describer and a pre-show touch tour?
- Do you use strobe that could trigger epileptic audience members? If so, have you provided warning?
- Does your material have the potential to trigger PTSD episodes/panic attacks/low mood? if so, have you provided adequate warning?
- Does your performance allow for audience members to come and go easily?
- Does your performance allow for noise / movement within the audience?
What after-care do you provide?
- If you have raised sensitive topics, do you give people information about support and services available? Can you create a safe post-show space for people to take time after the show/
- How can you get feedback on the accessibility of your performance, in order to improve it in future?